According to a recent Tennis Industry Association (TIA), there are a total of 270,000 tennis courts in the US.
Nearly 14,691 facilities that are offering programming and tennis instruction on nearly 92,000 courts. The TIA estimate there are an additional 25,000 courts at facilities that offer programming and another 150,000 tennis courts at residential, apartment complex, condos, hotels and community areas. Together, it is estimated that in the US there were 425 million ‘play occasions’ in 2016. From the 14,961 facilities that were surveyed by the TIA, here are some statistics:
- Total Indoor Hard Courts – 9,330
- Total Indoor Clay Courts – 1,058
- Total Indoor Other Courts – 481
Courts by Facility Type
- Total Private Facilities – 4,297
- Total Public Facilities – 4,715
- Total Commercial Facilities – 254
- Total Other Facility Type – 6,738
- Total Outdoor Hard Courts – 73,952
- Total Outdoor Clay Courts – 15,081
- Total Outdoor Grass Courts – 324
- Total Outdoor Other Courts – 835
- Total Outdoor Lighted Courts – 34,453
Facilities Number of Courts
- Four or Less Courts- 7,349
- Five to Nine Courts – 6,310
- Ten to Nineteen Courts- 2,443
- Twenty or more Courts- 346
At Tennisletics, we believe that for the modern tennis game, you need a calm mind, healthy body and the right gear. We seek to work closely with clubs to boost membership, add value to existing members that increases participation (clinics and private lessons) and drives satisfaction through delivery of complementary tools, guides, and resources.
We harness new ideas and technology to help ambitious athletes reach their potential. Join Tennisletics (starting for free) to get early access to products, services, and experiences designed for players of all ages and abilities, parents, coaches, trainers, clubs, and associations.